Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Christmas Fable as told by David Itamae

First I would like to address the fact that this is not a story you will find in an email. Nor will you find it in any book. This was something I in fact created to try and teach my nieces and nephew a meaning in the gifts which they receive. I personally sign my true name in this tale as a way to show that indeed it’s real and if you ask anyone that knows me personally you will know I had done so by the reactions I got from it all.
Sincerely
Douglas Rodgers.

Late October I decided that gifts this year would mean more than a simple wrapping and giving of some random object that held little memory or sentimental value. Instead I wanted something to show that I as an uncle wanted to do more than what is required of me. This of course is very tough considering that I’m a man of few well thought ideas.
I studied long in the nights of the perfect gag gifts. Thinking long and hard I came up with a jar of pickles, or old candy that was for Halloween. Still I did not believe that the gifts were adequate enough for such a gag so I did what any man in my position would do. I slept on it. Waiting until the time came for me to have that enlightenment that would simply say aha.

Days passed and Halloween had come and gone. It was now the month of November and still I had no idea for the perfect gift. That is until I had me a nice big bowl of glorious, wondrous, delicious Cereal. Taking big huge bites from the oversized spoon I dove into the Trix like it was my hearty serving of fruits and vegetables. Looking down I finally realized that my idea was a mere spoonful away.
Talking to one of my friends we sat in her car while I explained my idea. As she laughed at the notion I gave her the secret to my plan. She asked me what the entire plan was for to which I happily explained “You’ll See.” Stepping out her car I went into the house and looked for my nieces and nephew. I sat them on a couch asking them what is their favorite kind of cereal.
I went first to my oldest niece who was looking at me with a big smile and an inquisitive look told me that her favorite was Frosted Mini Wheat’s. Clapping my hands together I went on to my other niece whom replied unsurely Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Thinking that all three liked Kellogg’s I believed that a sale would come up for a three in one deal so I could save a few dollars. So I looked for my nephew whom was not home at the time.
When I was finally able to get to him it was a few days later. I knew that he enjoyed cereal randomly so that his taste buds changed much like his underwear. Being a four year old meant that a lot of clothes had to be put on standby in case of the lovely emergencies that arose. So there he was sitting next to my mother in the living room watching television.
So I walk up to them and ask what cereal my nephew so happily enjoyed. My mother being the lady that she was asked me why, I told her it was for his gift at Christmas time. She gave me a puzzled look and would continue to stare as I asked the same question over again. Finally he answered and had said Honey Combs. With the final answer I went back into my room smiling to myself as I had all the information I needed.
The next few weeks I went about telling everyone their gifts in which I received some of the most dirty looks on the planet. Mind you that every time I say I will do something unless something goes wrong I do it. This made me believe even further that this idea would work. Judging by the adults around me I knew that most had lost the idea of simplicity in a gift.
Soon I would receive responses rather than looks as to my gift choice idea. My mother being the first to say anything would say. “Why not just get them a bag of coal for Christmas?” Followed by “that is one of the dumbest gifts I ever heard.” Shrugging off her lack of understanding I continued to press the idea of cereal. Yummy! Yummy! in my Tummy!
Other people were not as worried as they thought me as an idiot and said so. One went as far as to say “If you were my uncle I would throw the box of cereal in your face.” Continuing to ask him his opinion I gathered that he felt it was very mean to a child to do something like that. Well perhaps in a way it was. However my plans would not change not even in the slightest.
Children as I saw were both trying to be both optimistic about such a gift and listen to the adults lack of favor toward my presents. So each day it was a good mix of both good and bad chatter among them. Soon I thought that perhaps they would lose the focus on the gift and think only with games and toys. That is how it began to look.
The days wore on and trouble had brewed up from the unlikely cutting of hours at work. This coupled with a sudden loss of money from one of my few mile strolls through the city. Stomping feet and cursing the winds for my horrible luck I tried as I could to find the cash I needed to ensure bills were paid and that gifts were bought. Can you smell the loss of cereal in the horizon?
Soon it came down to the wire. It was the day before Christmas and I was almost about to pace myself to death. No money and a hopeful gleam in my eye for a check that was to come a bit early. Waiting for the call from my relatives home for my checks arrival I had simple kept thinking of the money I had lost. Still I would not yield to my plan.
So the check had come at long last and I was able to cash it with little to no problem. I searched the store for the cereals to find them both expensive and out of two of the three I had needed. So in another mood I went out the store in search of place that I knew would have them in plentiful supply. Hooray one time for Wal-Mart.
Gathering the boxes I went into the check out seeing the long line almost through every isle in the store. People had come in the truck loads it seemed as I waited there. People laughed and asked how I would wait in line so long for three boxes of cereal. To which I replied “these are gifts for kids as they provide 9-11 vitamins and minerals, giving them enough calcium for strong bones.” It had seemed as though I was a spokesman for children’s growth and development. On the contrary I was just an uncle with little sense to do little else for a gag gift.
So that night I had wrapped the presents with help from friends as my gift wrapping skills are about as good as Billy Bob Thorton playing a “Nice” Santa. I had just come back from going to a Mass Service when we began to wrap the presents. After two hours. Yes I did say two hours the gifts were tagged and ready.  I rested a little while before it was time to take the presents to my sister whom had confidence the children would like their gifts. She said: “after all they are kids, and what kid don’t like cereal?”
Time came and I had to leave to visit another family before I would be able to come back and give the kids their delightful treat.. So off I went and returned home several hours later after everyone was worn out from the dinner and gift getting. Taking the boxes I threw them at each kid calling them by name. With rolled eyes from the adults I watched as the kids opened the box of cereal.
Oh the joy in their eyes as they tore through the paper revealing characters from their favorite breakfast food. This was my moment as I smiled back to them hoping that I would get a reaction like that at least. For in my head I had thought of the other possibility they would not like the gift I had gotten them even though I knew that I had told them before hand what it was.
So I asked them a question a rather simple one. Only if they accepted and liked the gifts as they were? With good nods and big wide smiles I saw a unanimous yes ring into my ears. As soon as they had the box and set them down, I immediately told them open the bottom flap of each box. Inside looking back all folded nice and neat was a 20 dollar bill.
To everyone’s surprise I got an even bigger smile saying that it was the best present they had gotten. Even the snotty adults had a look that was both in awe and surprise. I told them all that there is a moral to the story and that Christmas was more than just a winter holiday of gifts and shopping malls. So to them all I gave the thoughts behind my gift.
1)    With it being Christmas we are celebrating the birth of Christ. That in some faiths would be the one who would give his life for the sins of the world. It was told in the Bible of his coming much like the box in their hands.
2)    That it is not the outside we look at but rather it’s what is on the inside that counts the most. This is true with everyone we meet to the very foods we eat.
3)    Lastly to be like the smiling child that is pleased with even the simplest gestures as opposed to adults that lose sight of creativity and imagination.

I have no real idea if any of this would even sink in. I do know that from now on they would remember the gift of cereal and the money that went into it. Hopefully as they grow up they will think more like they had done so that day and continue a tradition of creativity. This while teaching the finer points in life to their children. Maybe I will see this. Perhaps I will not. Either way I can only say I gave a good effort on what I thought was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment