Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mountain Man as told by Patriciann Heron - A WoD poem -the /me denotes an action during telling of story/poem

/me introduces the poem. "The following story is based on a true account of events that occured in New Corsica, Louisiana, that I was witness to. It's called, 'Mountain Man.' "

Duncan Montana was a mountain man,
And a mountainous man he was,
The strength of his will, and the depth of his heart
Stood fast in the heavens above.
/me begins the story, admiring the Gangrel she once knew.

On the peaks he strode through moonlit troves,
On velvety indigo snow,
'Neath blinking starry skies, civilization he despised,
His love was for his abode.

/me sweeps her hand across the audience, describing the mountain snow, then her eyes survey with wonder the brilliant winter sky.

O'er summit he'd roam, like an ambling stone,
Surveying all he could see.
Where eagles dare and foxes 'ware,
He was home in that aerie sea.
/me smiles now, remembering Duncan's love for his homeland- the smile starts at first with delight- then it turns bittersweet.

But one day as is often the way,
His life was about to change,
For his sire had come under midnight sun
Over the windy mountain range.
/me raises her eyebrows with curiosity in anticipation of what might happen.

"Childe you've been free to stay and see
Fair nature unrefined.
But now explore some distant shores
And learn more of our kind."
/me sagely intones the words of his sire, filled with wisdom and understanding.

So off he went with his pack and tent,
To the oceans far away.
He finally arrived and would there abide
In the city to make his stay.
/me furrows her eyebrows, struggling to understand the difficulty of leaving the wilderness to come to an urban life.

The land was flat, the humidity moist,
It was a swampy, soupy mess.
Not pristine where the air was clean,
And his mountain soul could rest.
/me squints her eyes at first describing the conditions, then her face becomes compassionate, understanding the need for rest- for home.

He met them all that night in the fall,
In Elysium fair and true,
Though some distained; still he refrained,
Keeping his peace anew.
/me nods in approval to his discretion.

His eyes would squint like a man named Clint;
He was silent as a monk,
Although unspoken, the question unasked,
"Do you feel lucky, punk?"
/me laughs a little at her allusion to the actor, Clint Eastwood, and Duncan's striking resemblance to him.

To the trees in silent breeze,
Where crickets chirped their tune.
He would retreat, but soon did meet,
The bluest of blue moons.
/me 's face becomes more serious, her speech slows; the foreshadowing an ominous omen.

They gathered there, in the park square,
Seeking some fair sport.
To put him down, to make him pay,
They were not the pleasing sort.
/me frowns, shaking her head.

Upon the man they descended and
Abused him with words most fowl.
But all froze still, with a frightening chill,
At a cacophaneous howl!
/me 's lined eyes widen dramatically, her speech becoming more intense.

Eyes alarmed, they were disarmed,
The lupines were at hand.
"You get away, and I will stay,"
He turned to make his stand.
/me becomes concerned, her admiration visible although her body language tense with the stress of the situation.

His nails grew, he snarled and through
The treeline came the beast!
It howled again and loped at him,
One man to fill the breach!
/me raises her voice once more, the narrative reaching its climax.

Then they engaged, both were enraged,
It was an awful sight.
Claw to claw and fang to fang,
They battled through the night!
/me 's voice reaches a fever pitch as she describes the battle.

The others ran, their selfish plan
Of evil turned awry.
No longer did they speak ill of he
Who for their sakes had died.
/me slows down, the fight resolved, her voice now somber and emotional.

So when those new or green to you
A tempting target makes,
Remember when you were once green too
And correct for instructions' sake.
/me gestures with an open hand, palm up.

For it is not depravity, but to humanity
That we must earstwhile cling.
In truth we all have a part to play
In the grand scheme of things.
/me reflects on the idealism behind the moral of the story, her face hopeful while addressing the audience, then she continues.

O'er summit he'd roam, like an ambling stone,
Surveying all he could see.
Where eagles dare and foxes 'ware,
He was home in that aerie sea.
/me recites the reprise, looking off towards the horizon, then bows.

No comments:

Post a Comment